Wednesday, 11 September 2013

These are my confessions...If I'm gonna tell it then I gotta tell it all...


So. As evidenced by my post title, I have a confession to make. You may want to sit down for this, because it is both earth-shattering and mind-blowing. Are you ready?? Brace yourselves.

 

Sometimes…Not very often, but sometimes…I…listentobandsbesidesThirtySecondsToMars.

I know, right. Mind. Blown.

Rest assured that this level of blasphemy is a very rare occurrence.

I thought I would share this world-changing revelation with you all, as recently I’ve had a number of hilarious conversations in which people are actually shocked that I am even aware that other bands exist. It’s pretty funny because I absolutely LIVE for music (of all genres!), but I can definitely understand it. Lately I have been very heavy on the Mars. Like 62.77% heavy. I keep joking that it’s like when you first fall in love with someone and all you want to do is endlessly gush about them to anyone who will listen. Well, I say ‘joking’, but everyone who knows me wishes that I were joking :p Sorry, everyone!  Look, I can’t help it if I’m 30 Seconds To Rehab and an ObsEchelon. I’m on the right track, baby; I was born this way. So, in order to clear up this embarrassingly common misconception that my musical knowledge only extends to one particular band (although they are awesome. And they lean great. Don’t you think they lean great??*), I present to you a (brief) collection of some music videos and songs from other bands who I completely adore.

Although none of them lean as great as Mars.

 

 

OneRepublic: Counting Stars


This is my absolute favourite non-Mars song right now.

Everything that drowns me makes me want to fly. Favourite (non-Mars) lyric of all time.

 

 
Death Cab For Cutie: I’ll Follow You Into The Dark
 
 
What’s not to love about this song? It’s so beautiful. I just love Death Cab. We’re so close that I can drop off the ‘For Cutie’ in their name. Oh yeah. Don’t be jealous. (Random sidenote: The term ‘jelly’ needs to die a quick yet painful death. Like REALLY.)

 

 

Macklemore: Same Love
 

Dear everyone who doesn’t believe in equality: ARE YOU FOR SERIOUS?? And before you try to argue that gay rights aren’t the same as human rights, I’ll ask again: ARE. YOU. FOR. SERIOUS.

I just love this:

I might not be the same, but that’s not important;

No freedom ‘til we’re equal; DAMN RIGHT I support it.

I love you, Macklemore.

 

 
Coldplay: The Scientist
 
 
This was my favourite song and my favourite band for ten years. Actually ten years. Chris Martin, you may blame Jared Leto for your de-throning. You’re still my number two, though :)

 

 

 
Eminem: Love The Way You Lie
 
 
Say what you will about Eminem’s swearing and ‘questionable themes’; the man is a DAMN talented musician. I adore him.  This ties for first as my favourite Eminem song with…

 

 

This. Eminem: Lose Yourself
 
 
Success is my only mthrfkng option; failure’s not.

Enough said.

 

 

 

Snow Patrol: Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking
 
 
I LOVE SNOW PATROL.

That is all.

Also, in slow motion, the blast is beautiful.

 
 

 

 Bastile: Oblivion
 
 
This band is incredible. This song is incredible. Unfortunately I didn’t go to any of their Australian shows in August because they were in the same week as Mars…But then Mars didn’t happen so I missed out TWICE! DAMN YOU, UNIVERSE!

 

 
 
 

Linkin Park: Numb
 
 
This band was my LIFE when I was a teenager, particularly this song.

God, I was so angsty. My poor parents.
 

 

 

 
Justin Timberlake: Mirrors

 
YES. I LIKED N*SYNC. THERE. I SAID IT.

And I still love me some good ol’ JT :D

 
 

 

Ed Sheeran: Give Me Love
 
 
I love Ed Sheeran. I am not a Sheerio, although I do happen to think that fandom name is AWESOME :p

 

 

And just for the sake of balance…

 
Thirty Seconds To Mars: Kings + Queens
 
 
This is my favourite song in the history of forever. I am a heartbeat away from getting ‘In defence of our dreams’ tattooed underneath my left collarbone. Best. Song. Ever. Sorry, One Direction…

  
 

Well, there you have it! I CAN listen to bands besides Mars. Sometimes. In fact I’ll even do it right now! I’m totally going to put on Counting Stars. Watch me…Hey look, it’s Do Or Die. I’ll just watch that first.
 
 

 

 

 

TITLE LYRICS: ‘Confessions’ by Usher.

I also like Usher.

 

*Refers to the 90s TV drama ‘My So Called Life’, where Jared starred as Jordan Catalano.

He really leans great:


Rayanne: You want to have sex with him.
 
Angela: Who?
 
Rayanne: Who? Jordan! Catalano? Come on, I'm not going to tell anyone, just admit it.
 
Angela: I just like how he's always leaning. Against stuff. He leans great. Either sex or a conversation -- ideally both.
 

~ From the Pilot episode
 
(I tried to find a clip of this on YouTube, but no such luck. Sorry.)
 



Ps, Why yes, I did just learn how to embed YouTube clips yesterday. Nice of you to notice!