Wednesday, 30 October 2013

A boulevard of hope and dreams; streets made of desire...

So today this happened:
 
 
 

That right there, ladies and gentleman, is the new short film for THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS: CITY OF ANGELS. Hold onto your feelings. I am completely overwhelmed by The Feels (but what else is new, right?)

 
I started writing this post immediately after the first time I watched the short film (well, the first time I watched it the whole way through. I’d seen pieces of it before on #VyRTtheMARSbowl when my live stream was awful, but we won’t talk about that because I’m still suffering from PTSD*) I couldn’t finish it though because I wasn’t really sure how to phrase what I wanted to say. I’ve since viewed the film many more times (it’s probably best if we don’t discuss specific numbers :p) and I’m finally ready to finally let The Feels fall from my fingertips.

 
To put it briefly, this short film fills me with hope. If you haven’t seen it (and seriously, watch it NOW), it’s a collection of interviews spread throughout panoramic and epic shots of the band playing on a rooftop** and wandering the streets made of desire the streets of Los Angeles.  The interviews were conducted by Jared, and centre around the topics of LA, hopes and dreams. The film features many big names such as Kanye West, Lindsey Lohan and Olivia Wilde (just to name a few), but it also features non-famous LA dwellers such as a homeless man named ‘Breeze’ and a Michael Jackson impersonator. Each interviewee provides an interesting insight into their experiences in the City of Angels (LA) and their views on dreams and desires. It’s worth watching the short film purely for these interviews. They are both fascinating and inspiring.


The song is obviously very autobiographical for Jared and Shannon, and Jared has described it as being a ‘love letter to LA’. On the surface it can be viewed as being purely about the city that changed Jared, Shannon and Tomo’s lives, but I believe it’s something more than that. To me – and I’d venture to say to the majority of The Echelon as a whole*** – both the short film and the song are about betting on yourself and following your dreams.
 

Do you see a trend? This band, you guys. This band.

 
As you watch the film and listen to the interviews, the message is clear: do whatever it takes to achieve your goals and turn your dreams into a reality. These people are, for the most part, living their dreams. Listening to their stories and insights, you can’t help but think: If they can do it, why can’t I? Well my answer to that is: You can. I spoke about this yesterday when I pulled out my much-loved clip of Jared talking to a group of teens about dreams and goals (while wearing a dinosaur on his head). The difference between the people who live their dreams the people who wish they could live their dreams can be boiled down to one simple word: Work. If you work hard enough and bet on yourself, I truly believe that anything is possible. Of course it also (usually) requires talent and skill, but here’s the big secret: You can develop those by doing the work. There are very few people in the world who can excel in a particular field without practising (read: working on it). Take Jared and Shannon. They grew up food-stamp poor, and look at them now. They are multi-platinum rockstars touring the world and selling out arenas in every city they visit. Who would have thought that was possible, right? They didn’t fall into that. They didn’t ‘get lucky’. They worked their asses off, and they made their dreams a reality. They saw what they wanted to do with their lives and held onto it with everything they had. Tomo was much the same. He was ready to completely give up being a musician, and had even made plans to sell all his gear because he truly believed he had missed his chance to live his dreams. The very next day, he got the call to audition for Thirty Seconds To Mars. The Very. Next. Day.

 
I guess what I’m trying to say is, watching this short film has once again inspired me to keep fighting for what I believe in…And what I believe in is myself. I believe in myself and my ability as a writer an author. To be honest it feels so unnatural to type that or even think that, but Mars are giving me the confidence I need to not only say it but also to begin to believe it. I can live my dreams. You can live your dreams. As James Franco says in the short film, no one knows what lies beyond this life, so we have to make the most of the time we have. You shouldn’t have to stay in a crappy job you hate with a boss that may in fact be Satan in disguise /cough/. You need to find the thing you are most passionate about and then do whatever it takes to make it happen. Believe in yourself. Bet on yourself. Follow your heart and your gut, and then…Make your dreams your reality.



 
 
 
TITLE LYRICS: ‘The City Of Angels’ by Thirty Seconds To

My.

Heart.

 

*On the day of The Hollywood Bowl (which was being live streamed on VyRT), my Internet decided to have a heart attack and virtually stop working. The memory of my lagging, buffering, skipping live stream still haunts me today. Thankfully I was able to download the Mars Bowl from VyRT, so now I have a PERFECT copy to keep FOREVER <3

[We won’t discuss what Jared Bart did to that copy :p]

 

(It’s important to note that the problem was on my end, not with VyRT. The VyRT crew were actually super helpful in trying to fix my issues :3 Thank you, VyRT crew!!)


 

**The same rooftop where they filmed Kings + Queens, which means that I CAN’T EVEN.

 

***The Thirty Seconds To Mars ‘fanbase’, for lack of a better word.


 


Random end note: Can I just say, I LOVE THIS:
 
 

 

I’m SO happy he took credit for directing this one (for those of you who don’t know, Mars short films are usually directed by Bartholomew Cubbins, who is Jared’s alter-ego). It just shows how much it means to him.
Sigh. ILoveHimAndCanIKeepHimForever.